Varnish 2.0 beta 2 released

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at linpro.no
Wed Sep 24 20:48:09 CEST 2008

It is our pleasure to announce the second beta release of Varnish 2.0.
This will hopefully be the last beta before entering release candidate
mode.

The beta can be downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=155816&package_id=173643

Since 1.1.2, we have implemented the following changes:

 * Backend health
 * ESI – Supporting only the sensible subset
 * A considerable amount of improvements to VCL: backend health, string representation of backend, etc.
 * Handle PUT/POST with pass
 * Random and round-robin directors
 * Saves objects past expiration date («grace»)
 * Multiple storage file support
 * URL-rewrites
 * PURGE-support based on regular expressions also over HTTP
 * Backend selection and load distribution
 * Directors can select by any metric they prefer
 * Restarts, allowing you to try the transaction again if you don’t like where you ended up.
 * Race condition in kqueue acceptor fixed
 * The hash string is now built by VCL, which means people can customize it
 * We have both “purge_hash” and “purge_url” as a result
 * The former allowing purges per vhost for instance.
 * New and less jumpy thread pool sizing algorithm
 * Swallow request body where necessary
 * Better TCP shutdown in pipe mode
 * Garbage collection of purge entries
 * Enhanced parameter tuneability – More knobs to tweak, and remember to be careful when trying them out!
 * Improved documentation
 * Better regression testing using varnishtest

The following known issues have been fixed since the last release (beta 1)

There are currently no known issues for this release.

    * FIXED: Wrong headers can be sent to backend
    * FIXED: Portability fixes for Solaris, OpenBSD

    * For a fix history since Beta 1 see http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/report/17
    * For a full fix history for the application see http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/report/16

On Linux, we have switched the memory allocator for the “malloc” backend
from the regular glibc malloc implementation to jemalloc. This can be
disabled by passing—disable-jemalloc when running configure. Please
report any problems or bugs you see as a result of using jemalloc.

Please take the beta for a testdrive, and let us know what you think,
and please remember to report your issues at
http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/newticket

Enjoy,
--
Tollef Fog Heen, Varnish Release Manager
on behalf of the Varnish team