Looking for Varnish funding

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Feb 29 10:28:51 CET 2012

As you probably know, my development of the Varnish HTTP cache
is funded with the "Varnish Moral License".

Last year Wikia.com, which have been a VML holder right from the
start, outsourced their web-delivery and as a result, they have not
desired to continue funding Varnish.

I have absolutely no problem with that, and would like to thank
Wikia for the two years of VML support, it has helped make Varnish
much better, and helped keep my kids warm and fed.

Let me at the same time extend a similar thanks to the other two
major VML holders, Varnish Software and Facebook, who have also
been faithfull supports from day one.

The big picture view of VML is that on average I work 73 hours on
Varnish a month, which gives a burn-rate of EUR 7560/m.

Through a combination of recurrent (~60%) and one-time (~40%) VML
payments, this has balanced nicely over the last couple of years.

But Wikias departure does leave a hole in the budget, so I would
like to ask if any of the companies out there, who use Varnish to
deliver their web-content, would be interested in chipping in and
supporting the furture development of Varnish, either by one time
or (preferably) recurrent VML licenses.

VML is run totally open-books, and you can read everything about
it, including the full transactions history here:

	http://phk.freebsd.dk/VML/

Thanks in advance,

Poul-Henning