Figuring out VCL

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Apr 12 08:28:59 CEST 2006

In message <1434.193.213.34.102.1144794854.squirrel at denise.vg.no>, "Anders Berg" write
s:

>Yes, this makes sense. 2 questions:
>
>1. From box 2 you have a error "arrow", is this for when a request is like
>"GET /%#!! HTTP/1.0" <- chars that are not allowed?

It indicates what happens if the VCL code executes an "error" statement.

In the default code we don't use that, but the user might in
customized VCL code.

>2. The "Pass HTTP request to backend" points to "Request completed" when
>there is a pass. Is this done just to simplify the flow-graph?

A better wording would be "pass-through" I guess.  Yes, Vanish is
handling the data forth and back, but is only acting like a relay,
it doesn't inspect the transaction further.

>Other that that, I find it a correct representation of what we have
>discussed so far.

Great, lets see if I can get it to work then ;-)