sendfile surprise

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Aug 7 11:48:47 CEST 2006

I had tacitly assumed that sendfile(2) would be faster than
a write, but it may no be while data is still in RAM.

While working on the slow client timeout, I have taken sendfile
out for now and as a result I see the Alteon loading us with
up to 1500 req/s, which I take to mean that our responsetime is
better now.

The stats don't quite confirm that this is the case, but we don't
actually record "time to first packet goes out" so the alteon
may see things differently than us.