Alteon detail

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sun Aug 20 00:11:29 CEST 2006

In message <4D874FF3-31E1-4609-974A-23783F904713 at vgnett.no>, Anders Berg writes
:

>I was left in leastconn metric and weight 1. Other Squids weight 5
>and 1 Squid in 10.

Ok, I can use that.

>Thanks for todays testing guys. Great that we got to test some.

Yeah, although I don't feel I learned anything "postive" today,
I only managed to eliminate a number of theories, not nail down
the right one.

>I feel we should focus on one thing right now, and that is getting
>Varnish to function when we give it all of the traffic. The multiple
>Host: testing can wait.

Well, there is little preventing us from progressing on two fronts
at once, but yes, the main objective is the load.

>Host: testing can wait. We have to find out if it is FreeBSD or
>Varnish that can't handle it to good.

Yes.  This might be tricky work.  It would be very useful if the
Alteon would tell us why it hates us instead of just throttling us.

I have created ticket #38 with a fault tree we can use to nail
this problem down, feel free to amend and update, but please
don't eliminate any causes without documenting how you did so.