New to Varnish

Jaime Nebrera jnebrera at eneotecnologia.com
Tue Dec 26 10:21:32 CET 2006

  Hi all,

  First of all my biggest congratulations for this great effort. I have been unable to really test this but looks a the way to go, look for funding, do a great job and forget about keeping old technology around.

  I would like to make some comments to see if we can help in this great effort. We have a good contact within the local government and they are eager to sponsor Open Source Projects that really fit their needs.

  This in essence brings multiple opportunities:

  1) We have good contacts within the local Computer Engineering University and could look for students to do their diploma jobs in Varnish. We currently have some students here doing jobs related to other products of the company. They will need some guidance and help, but surely is a good & cheap starting point

  2) We could convince the local government to sponsor part of this effort, specially if we involve local companies / universities. In this sense, is there any estimation of how much "developer time" is needed to continue this development?

  3) How well does Varnish compare to haproxy from a performance perspective? Yes, haproxy doesnt cache request, but neither varnish does a lot of stuff haproxy does. Would not be a good idea to just chain both? haproxy as balancer and varnish as accelerator?

  4) How hard (please quote this one in particular :) would be to adapt varnish to become not only a "reverse" proxy but a forwarding with caching only proxy? I mean, no fuss with auth nor filtering nor ACLs. Nothing, just caching very fast requests going to the Internet for a network (maybe chaining with an upwards proxy using ICP and being able to work transparently)

  Thanks and regards

PS.- I dont know if the devel list is the correct one to make this questions, but I understand is more restrictive than users :)

PS2.- Sadly enough my Norwegian is even worse than my suhairy :) and can't read all the available stuff. Enough with Spanish and English

Jaime Nebrera - jnebrera at eneotecnologia.com
Consultor TI - ENEO Tecnologia SL
Pol. PISA - C/ Manufactura 6, P1, 3B
Mairena del Aljarafe - 41927 - Sevilla
Telf.- (+34) 955 60 11 60 / 619 04 55 18