Features in Varnish

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Sat Jul 8 18:43:14 CEST 2006

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> Anders Berg <andersb at vgnett.no> writes:
> > - Very fast
> > Varnish is buildt for speed, and should out-perform any other HTTP
> > accelerator
> I'm never keen on such absolutes, at least not until I've convinced
> my self that they are true :-)

I think we can safely say that Varnish out-performs all other *open
source* HTTP accelerators (at least the ones I know of).

> > - Modern operatingsystem technology
> > To be able to deliver content as efficient as possible Varnish
> > takes in use the latest operatingsystem features like Kqueue/Epoll
> > and Sendfile. Varnish is also IPv6 compatible
> The last bit may need a bit of verification.

It is trivial to test, and if it doesn't work, it should be trivial to
fix.

> > - Powerful configuration possibilities
> > Varnish has a powerful configurationlanguage (VCL) which gives you
> > endless possibilities and power over your content. You can
> > reference another configurationfile if say your backend is acting
> > slow
> I think the second statement rather detracts from the first by
> being very specific.

Agreed.

> > - Instant purging
> > No datastructure traversing will accur, Varnish will instantly
> > purge your document(s)
> >
> > - Wildcard purging
> > Again, no datastructure traversing is done and all documents (even
> > millions) matching your wildcard or regexp will intsantly be
> > rendered obsolete and not delivered
> Since these are basically the same feature, I would combine them:

Agreed.

There are also minor issues of style and typography, but we can deal
with them when we actually have a web site on which to stick the list.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav
Senior Software Developer