Future plans

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Sat Jul 8 22:13:42 CEST 2006

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> writes:
> > I agree that we can't ship it the way it looks right now, but I
> > think we're pretty close to being able to call it alpha.
> Pretty close, but not quite.  Lets aim for next weekend or so.

Yep.  I did some more testing (fixed the backend.port bug!) and came
across at least one important issue which we discussed earlier this
week but didn't fix: hashing does not take the host into account, so
you can't stick Varnish in front of a server with multiple name-based
virtual hosts.

I believe that the way we want to fix this is by URL normalization:
the URL we store in struct http should be a cleaned-up absolute URI.
This can either be done unconditionally in http_Dissect() or
CacheWorker(), or as a matter of policy in vcl_recv().

(BTW, I don't like using the rr argument to http_Dissect() to
distinguish between request and response; I'd rather have separate
functions for each, with a common helper for the headers; but that's
picking nits)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav