Logging

Anders Berg andersb at vgnett.no
Mon Jul 10 17:03:08 CEST 2006

On Jul 10, 2006, at 10:29, Anders Nordby wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Will it be possible to log cache misses? And would it be possible
> to log
> them separately?

Hi Anders,

while I might not be the right one to answer I'll give it a shot.
Right now Varnish is logging alot of data involved in the request
handling to shared memory on each of the Varnish servers. It's a
shared memory buffer at a fixed size (default 8M right now I think),
and Varnish writes to it in a FIFO manner.
Logging is about attaching itself to the SHM log and "tailing" it. We
have a client for tailing the SHM log on one machine, but in the end
product we are aiming for central log managment. One machine connects
itself through the logging API (secured) to all the servers and
gathers data to a central place. There you would write a filter that
can read and present whatever data you'd like to view. From what I
understand, even if a pure cachemiss logger is not present at launch
we will have at least some common loggers and writing a cachemiss
logger is what DES and PHK refer to as a SMOP :) Logging to SHM is
extremely cheap and we will not bog the servers down with logparsing
and such. We will have to wait and see what this is like networkwise,
but I guess there is always a way around that that's easier. I am
uncertain if we are gonnna implement a way to tell the Varnish daemon
itself what we want it to logg in V 1.0.

Here is some info about the logging:

http://projects.linpro.no/pipermail/varnish-dev/2006-March/000096.html

Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Anders Berg