Controlling memory usage

Anders Berg andersb at vgnett.no
Mon Jul 17 19:49:02 CEST 2006

Thx for detailed answers Poul-Henning and Dag-Erling,

The reason Anders N. asks about this is how Squid works today. The
squid.conf file leaves you with a option to specify how much RAM you
wanna use for Squid. The problem is that Squid (probably because of
old design) does not really "follow" that option. If you set 256 MB
RAM, you can still end up using 500 MB RAM, and if you set option
close to max memory you will for certain overflow your physical RAM
and start swapping/die. Your answer was detailed Poul-Henning, but
what will prevent this from happpening in Varnish? Lets say you have
2 applications running on a Varnish box, and both use the memory
model Varnish uses, what will happen in the long run with a lot of
traffic? Will they both adjust themselvs to match pysical RAM, how
would they "compete" for RAM etc? It's possible you have already
answered that below, but how do we "limit" RAM usage?

Also I would like to mention that while at VG neither Squid or
Varnish (it seems) have any problem dealing with I/O, the traffic
pattern, pysical size'es of dataset's etc. make it 100% CPU bound. My
impression is that finn.no's pattern is quite different and interesting.

A quick look on:

http://www.tns-gallup.no/index.asp?
type=tabelno_url&did=185235&sort=uv&sort_ret=desc&UgeSelect=&path_by_id=
/12000/12003/12077/12266&aid=12266

will show what I mean. They have "few" users and sessions, but loads
of pageviews, also at any given time many thousand "wares" are "hot"
for the user, not a few popular articles. This does something to mem
usage and I/O. I am looking forward to test-run Varnish on finn.no :)
At the same time when a ware is "sold" purging becomes important :)
Maybe not so much on finn.no today, but I can easily see auctions
happen in the close future :)

Anders Berg