Purge

Anders Berg andersb at vgnett.no
Fri Jul 21 11:01:55 CEST 2006

> "Anders Berg" <andersb at vgnett.no> writes:
>> Some FUD developed today when our frontpage editors sensed that their
>> Purge tool did not function correctly :) Sorry about that, and the
>> following phonecalls.
>
> Is this solely a Varnish issue?  I did som checking when Stein Ove
> called me: one of the squids (specifically, cache3.c.vgnett.no) seems
> to be configured differently from the others, and seems to run
> directly against leonora instead of going through the second level
> squid.  I also saw that you mentioned on IRC that one of the squids
> wasn't on the purge list...

As Stein-Ove writes, yes it's different because it's a Squid 2.6
installation.

It was not on the purgelist yesterday, but that seldom is a problem since
the Expire time is seldom or never actually honored by Squid (It refreshes
more often that whats set in Expires and in the config file). :) So the
front editors will not notice it as a "old" frontpage. Also cache3 is
handeling less traffic than Varnish, so it's hit more seldom.
That explains why the Varnish page was more visible as not honoring the
purge the editors sent.

Anders Berg