SV: Predicting the future

Anders Berg Anders.Berg at vg.no
Tue May 2 14:42:34 CEST 2006

I agree, unfortunately AMD and Intel follow/lead the hype to some degree.

> Writing programs which scale to just 32 cores is incredibly
> hard, unless we talk about something like CGI scripts in
> apache2 (and even then it's not trivial.

Yes, thats why the T1 is good on some benchmarks I understand. And, if I am not mistaking, also Varnish will be?

Anyway, this article gave me (probably not you guys) an easy-to-understand glimpse of the possible future.

> At the bottom of it is the fact that Intel has promised to
> double performance 18 months, at least until Moore croaks.
>
> Having run up against the 4GHz Si/CMOS clock barrier, the
> only way out is expanding number of cores.
>
> But in reality, the silicon real-estate could be used much
> better if you take a "whole system performance" view.

Yeah, but apps need to be aware of this right? I think Varnish is in a better position than the "competition" to take this into account. :)

Anders Berg

> For instance: add hw-crypto (Intel/AMD doesn't dare do this,
> because they would have to make sure CPU's don't get into
> Iraq, N.Korea etc but VIA already did it.)
>
> --
> Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by
> incompetence.

Denne fotnoten bekrefter at denne e-postmeldingen ble
skannet av MailSweeper og funnet fri for virus.