varnishstat and 2 instances of varnishd

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Sep 15 20:25:04 CEST 2006

In message <450AEE8D.4020906 at litespeedtech.com>, "xing at litespeedtech.com" write
s:
>Since yesterday I have been running 2 instances of varnishd on the same
>server.
>
>So far so good. My question is, I'm not sure how to direct varnishstat
>to grab/display stats from a specific varnishd instance. --help only
>reveal -cV args.

Ohh, uhm...

The shared memory file is currently (rather haphazardly) called
"tmp/_.vsl".  At some point I planned on revisiting that but I
have not thought much about it.

Just including the listen port is not enough as you could have
two varnishes listening on specific IP# but same port.

Including the entire listen address seems needlessly cumbersome.

I guess assigning some kind of instance numbers is the way to
go...

The instance number would have to be specified to all the tools
then.

Ideas welcome.