Varnish crashing in production

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Fri May 11 07:26:50 CEST 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 7:31 PM, Barry Abrahamson wrote:

> We are currently testing Varnish as a reverse proxy to serve
> images.  We are running into problems where the varnishd child (and
> sometimes parent), will die unexpectedly.

FWIW I am seeing something similar.  I haven't seen anything in the
syslog or tried running varnishlog for long enough to catch it
happening (which I why I didn't post).  In this installation (on
RHEL4) increasing the cache size did seem to help on the frequency.

It never happens when it's idle-ish (<100-150 rps) but in the busy
hours (2-500rps) it happens frequently.   In the cache hit ratio (I
love munin!) you can see that pretty clearly - stable or slowly
increasing average ratio during the off-peak hours - when it's busy
it drops every time there's a crash...

	http://tmp.askask.com/2007/05/varnish_cachehitratio-day.png

  - ask