Support Cache-Control no-cache/private as per RFC2616 ?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Tue Nov 20 18:48:15 CET 2007

"Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <rudd-o at rudd-o.com> writes:
> If you build a description/table of how an RFC2616 cache (I
> understand that to be an HTTP accelerator, but google's kind of slow
> to come up in this slow machine) should act, I promise I will build
> at least a flowchart.

There is no such thing as an HTTP accelerator in RFC2616.  There are
only private and shared caches.  RFC2616 does not come anywhere near
anticipating the need for something like Varnish (or Squid in reverse
mode for that matter) or describing how it should work.

We already have a table of RFC2616 requirements for shared caches
(lifted from the Squid web site) in the wiki, but it is not directly
applicable to Varnish.

The closest there is to a formal description of what Varnish is and
how it should behave is the Edge Architecture Specification, which
unfortunately is far less impressive than its title.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav
Senior Software Developer