Support Cache-Control no-cache/private as per RFC2616 ?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Tue Nov 20 18:58:36 CET 2007

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at linpro.no> writes:
> > The closest there is to a formal description of what Varnish is
> > and how it should behave is the Edge Architecture Specification,
> > which unfortunately is far less impressive than its title.
> ESI is indeed not impressive, but it is also aimed at a very narrow
> market which Varnish is not (3rd party but non-adverserial caching)

I was not referring to ESI.  The Edge Architecture Specification (EAS)
is the document that defines the term "HTTP Surrogate" and the
Surrogate-Control header.  It is the closest we get to a formal
definition of Varnish's niche in the HTTP ecology, and it isn't much.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav
Senior Software Developer