[varnishd] pipe problems...What is the best option ?

BUSTARRET, Jean-francois jfbustarret at wat.tv
Fri Nov 23 17:50:12 CET 2007

A few days ago, I encountered the same "Pipe Shut read/write" problems as described in http://projects.linpro.no/pipermail/varnish-misc/2007-July/000599.html (varnishd 1.1.1 stops answering requests, varnishlog reports lots of Pipe Shut read/write messages).

I did try with the last 1.1 code from the SVN, but got random and fairly frequent blank pages. I had then to switch off varnish (and revert to lighty/mod_proxy).

My site heavily uses AJAX POST request, which are piped, mixed with GET requests.

What would be the best option ? What version would be the best for my case (to be able to pass small POST request & have a good pipe stability) ?

Thanks for your help

Jean-François Bustarret
WAT - Responsable technique
http://www.wat.tv