W3C Extented Log Format

Caleb Anthony caleb.anthony at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 22:25:30 CEST 2007

Hello,

I have started to modify the source of varnishncsa so that it will log
in the W3C extended log format. More specifically, the W3C log format
that IIS 6 uses (see:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/676400bc-8969-4aa7-851a-9319490a9bbb.mspx?mfr=true).
I needed to do this so that we can maintain the same log format for
our stats processing software even when we switch over to varnish as a
front end.

In reality, my source modifications are mostly just rearranging the
order of the existing code in varnishncsa, but some of it is new to do
something that the original source didn't do.

I'm about 80% of the way through it and I have hit a roadblock. I'm
trying to figure out a way to log the following fields, but I can see
any way to extract this information from the current source.

s-ip (server ip)
s-port (server port)
cs-bytes (client to server bytes)
time-taken (time the action took in milliseconds)

I'm afraid that I'm not a programmer, but a network/server admin that
is trying to fulfill a need. So any help or direction would be
appreciated.

Also, I would be more than happy to submit a diff of my changes in
case anyone else is interested in logging in this format. Or, if I can
get more familiar with the GNU tool chain, I could possibly move the
code over, separate from varnishncsa, perhaps varnishw3c...

Thanks.