W3C Extented Log Format

Caleb Anthony caleb.anthony at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 17:33:51 CEST 2007

On 10/24/07, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> >s-ip (server ip)
> >s-port (server port)
>
> We don't log these right now, but we can do that relatively easily,
> they need to go into the SessionOpen log record.
>
> Open a ticket in our track record about this.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have created an account on Trac. My username is "Caleb". Give me
access, and I'll create a ticket about the s-ip s-port issue.

> >cs-bytes (client to server bytes)
>
> header or body (or both ?) bytes ?
>
> Right now we don't support client to server bytes any other way than
> during pipe processing, so we don't even count this number.
>
> Cecilie is working on POST in the pass code, so that would give us
> a number to put here.

As for cs-bytes, from what I have found on the W3C site and on
Microsoft's site, cs-bytes is the total bytes sent, so I would assume
its both the header and body combined. This field is the least
important of the ones listed here, so don't worry to much about it
given the current issues with retrieving this information.

> >time-taken (time the action took in milliseconds)
>
> Do they say where this should be measured exactly ?  We have four
> timestamps you can choose from:
>
>        connection open
>        request received
>        response ready
>        response sent
>
> and they're all represented in the ReqEnd record somehow.

Both the W3C and Microsoft documentation states that this is the time
taken for the transaction to complete. So it looks like the total time
from connection open to response sent would be good for this field.
Using varnishlog -i ReqEnd I get the following information:

15 ReqEnd       c 1517105057 1193239772.341682196 1193239772.460953236
0.000179291 0.119204998 0.000066042

Can you tell me what each of these entries mean?

Thanks again.