Solaris support

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Tue Jan 8 20:18:01 CET 2008

Theo Schlossnagle <jesus at omniti.com> writes:
> We've been running this for a while on Solaris.  Works really well.

Only because you haven't noticed the bugs yet...  for instance,
session timeout is broken (commented out, actually) in your patch, so
broken backends and / or clients will bog you down.

> What we need is the function in cache_acceptor.c:
> [...]
> I see this as a cleaner mechanism regardless as there is no reason for
> the generic cache_acceptor to care about int vca_pipes[2]; -- it's an
> implementation detail.  How's that sound?

That sounds like a good idea.  Even better if you can submit an
isolated patch :)

>    sendfile and sendfilev on solaris

Probably not a good idea unless sendfile() semantics are significantly
better on Solaris than on FreeBSD and Linux.

>    using fcntl() when flock() is unavailable

There are issues here as well; the semantics are subtly different from
OS to OS.  For instance, what happens if separate threads in the same
process try to lock the same file?  It's even less fun if you take
into consideration systems that support both.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav
Senior Software Developer