Caching issue

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Mon Mar 10 09:51:45 CET 2008

"Shain Miley" <SMiley at npr.org> writes:
> The output from below is a result of 'varnishlog > log.file'.
> According to the man page if I don't use '-b' or '-c' both are
> assumed.

Best practice for Varnish logging is to store the raw log data in a file
which can later be read back by varnishlog and varnishncsa.

> I don't know why any of the logging would be missing? Am I missing
> somthing?

The backend traffic is missing; I can't tell why since I don't know
precisely what you did.

> In terms of the 'different Accept-Encoding header ' being set by the
> other browser..do you mean the 'Vary' header?

No.  The client sends Accept-*, the server sends Vary.  The Vary header
tells Varnish which of the Accept-* headers are relevant.

> The reason I ask is because both set Accept-Encoding to 'gzip:deflate'
> so they are the same there.

No, they aren't.  Look closer.

> If it is the result of 'Vary' can I simply remove that header and
> achive what I am looking for?

Not unless you also strip any incoming Accept* headers.

> I would also like to know if anyone knows how I can better debug the
> hash that is being created...ie...I would like you know exaclty what
> information is being used in it's creation, so I can get to a plcae
> really where only the url is being used as the hash...

The way your vcl_hash is set up only the URL is being used in the hash.
Vary support cannot be implemented correctly by just including it in the
hash string, so it isn't.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav