varnish consuming too much memory?

Jodok Batlogg jodok at lovelysystems.com
Thu Mar 13 22:50:46 CET 2008

On 13.03.2008, at 22:45, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <7FC400FB-7BB0-4979-81DE-7EE538AED27A at lovelysystems.com>,
> Jodok Batl
> ogg writes:
>
>> or is it really true that i need dedicated boxes for caching only?
>
> If your operating system has a VM system worth its salt, no.

so you mean - in case the box is busy accessing objects from cache
memory and busy accessing some items from varnish cache and another
application is busy and accesses some other objects from memory
frequently my 2.6 linux kernel is intelligent enough to decide what to
keep in memory and what to put to swap.
that would be great :)

what is varnish's disk file exactly for? is varnish using "real"
memory only and "swapping" to its own file?

thanks

jodok

--
"Beautiful is better than ugly."
   -- The Zen of Python, by Tim Peters

Jodok Batlogg, Lovely Systems GmbH
Schmelzhütterstraße 26a, 6850 Dornbirn, Austria
mobile: +43 676 5683591, phone: +43 5572 908060