munin plugin with multiple instances of varnish

Paul Mansfield paul.mansfield at taptu.com
Tue Dec 8 11:34:19 CET 2009

On 07/12/09 14:22, Paul Mansfield wrote:
> hello, I've tried out the munin plugin and had to set "env.name
> varnish1" so that I can measure the performance of the first of several
> varnish instances
>
> is there a way please of monitoring more than one varnish instance with
> the plugin written by Kristian Lyngstøl?

I decided to go ahead and tweak the plugin to do this, by simply
extending the formatting of the plugin name and retain backwards
compatibility. It's attached.

old format:
	varnish_hit_rate
	- still works

	varnish_NAME__hit_rate
	- produces stats for varnish instance NAME

note the double underscore just in case your varnish instance has an
underscore in its name!

so all you have to do is rename existing plugins to reflect your varnish
instance, and of course rename the RRD files on the master node. then
you can create additional instances of the plugins for any additional
instances of varnish!

here's a one-liner that will do the job; I opted to copy the RRDs rather
than rename, just in case...

for Y in $X; do Z=`echo $Y | sed 's/varnish_/varnish_NAME__/'`; echo $Y
$Z; cp -p $Y $Z ; done