Storage Size & Virtual Memory?

Cloude Porteus cloude at instructables.com
Thu Mar 26 04:34:59 CET 2009

I thought I could have a cache size that was larger than the amount of RAM.
My config looks like this:

VARNISH_STORAGE_FILE=/var/spool/squid/varnish/varnish_storage.bin
VARNISH_STORAGE_SIZE=50G
VARNISH_STORAGE="file,${VARNISH_STORAGE_FILE},${VARNISH_STORAGE_SIZE}"

But I'm seeing my Varnish process with 55.6g of virtual memory and some
usage of swap memory. I'm also seeing a system load average of 1.5-3, where
my current squids run well under 1.

I'm also trying to figure out how many objects are in the cache, but I can't
tell which varnishstat will get me close to that number, is it?

- Objects sent with write
- SHM records

Thanks for any help!

best,