Cannot get varnish to start

Dingwell, Robert A. bobd at mitre.org
Tue Mar 31 20:59:52 CEST 2009

Hi,

I just built and installed varnish from what is currently available in
trunk.  The configure, make , sudo make install   cycle went off just fine,
no errors.  When I attempt to startup varnishd however it just hangs for a
few seconds and then dies.

I'm using the following command to start it up.

 sudo  /usr/local/sbin/varnishd -a localhost:8090  -f
/usr/local/etc/varnish/default.vcl -T localhost:6082 -d -d

And this is the output I get on the screen.

storage_file: filename: ./varnish.0uF7sj size 1065 MB.
Using old SHMFILE
200 193
-----------------------------
Varnish HTTP accelerator CLI.
-----------------------------
Type 'help' for command list.
Type 'quit' to close CLI session.
Type 'start' to launch worker process.

If I don't include the -d -d params I get this.

storage_file: filename: ./varnish.xlJKfV size 801 MB.
Using old SHMFILE
Apple does not want programs to use daemon(3) and suggests using launchd(1).
We don't agree, but their dad is bigger than our dad.

Is there something I'm missing as to how to start up varnish? Is there a log
file that gets generated that I look through for errors?

The main reason I'm using trunk is so I can test out the grace feature for
when a backend goes down.

Any help you be appreciated .

Thanks
Rob