production of Varnish Documentation

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at varnish-software.com
Mon Apr 12 09:13:41 CEST 2010

]] Poul-Henning Kamp

| 	1. .TXT files are the lingua franca of computers, even if
| 	you are logged with TELNET using IP over Avian Carriers
| 	(Which is more widespread in Norway than you would think)
| 	you can read documentation in a .TXT format.
|
| 	2. .TXT is the most restrictive typographical format, so
| 	rather than trying to neuter a high-level format into .TXT,
| 	it is smarter to make the .TXT the source, and reinterpret
| 	it structurally into the more capable formats.

Those are good principles.

| In other words: we are talking about the "ReStructuredText" of the
| Python project.

[...]

| Comments, inputs... ?

At the risk of bikeshedding here, have you looked at [markdown][1]?
I've always found rst looking really funny when I've read it, to the
extent that I've gone «what's wrong with this text file?  It has odd
backticks and trailing underlines».

(As a bonus here, we can move the wiki towards using markdown or rst
instead of trac's built-in syntax.  This can be done with either format
so should not really be a factor in choosing between markup formats.)

[1] http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax

--
Tollef Fog Heen
Varnish Software