HTTP 400 returned for a HTTP request over 28 headers?

T. Pascal t_pascal at zennet.com
Tue Aug 31 20:56:16 CEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Per Buer <perbu at varnish-software.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Anderson Brown <andersonbrown8 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> However, when I try to restart:
>>
>> root at machine>/etc/init.d/varnish restart
>> Stopping varnish HTTP accelerator:                         [  OK  ]
>> Starting varnish HTTP accelerator:                         [FAILED]
>>
>> I see nothing in /var/log/messages nor in varnishlog.
>
> It should be logged somewhere, if not - that would be a bug. I'm not sure
> where it would be appropriate to log such things on RHEL.
> wrt the parameter - I _think_ this was made a run-time option in 2.1. It was
> a compile time option in 2.0.

In my centos servers with the sourceforge RPMs, it is logged in
/var/log/messages.

>> root at machine>varnishd -V
>> varnishd (varnish-2.0.6)
>> Copyright (c) 2006-2009 Linpro AS / Verdens Gang AS
>>
>> Am I using an older version?  Just did the varnish install via yum-EPEL.
>
> As 2.1 is not 100% compatible with 2.0 EPEL for EL 5.0 is stuck on 2.0.
> However, there are RPM's available.

The RPMs are available on sourceforge (a link exists from the
downloads section on the main varnish-cache.org home page); I have
used even 2.13 without problems.

I am not sure if there will be compatibility issues if you want to
jump back to epel for Varnish at some point (when 2.1 is available
there).

There is also a bug with the DAEMON options startup script from these
RPMs.  You will want to change the single quotes in
/etc/init.d/varnish with double quotes for the DAEMON_OPT line (as
epel does).

-T