idea for load "balancer" with fan-out/ voting

Paul Mansfield paul.mansfield at taptu.com
Mon Jan 11 19:03:44 CET 2010

On 10/01/10 18:54, Nils Goroll wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
>> so if you could duplicate an http request to multiple servers and get
>> the first response, you'd have to be pretty unlucky for all of them to
>> be garbage collecting and unresponsive.
>
> This issue can (and should) be solved by properly tuning your Java VMs.
>
> Duplicating workload on the backend to me sounds just like the opposite
> of what you usually want to achieve with an optimization tool like
varnish.

well, this is a sledge-hammer to crack a java nut idea.

problem with java developers is that their answer when faced with
performance problems is to simply throw more memory at it... and even
with fast multi-core CPUs it takes a while to garbage collect a VM which
has eaten ++30GB of ram.

;-(