Varnish Storage API

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jul 14 20:24:11 CEST 2010

In message <201007141056.43132.stephan.richter at gmail.com>, Stephan Richter writ
es:

>While discussing the solution, one engineer brought up the following concern.
>Let's say Varnish gets hammered with user requests and is busy serving them.
>Now comes the driver HTTP client (the one that forces the retrieval of a file
>from the backend). If the system is very busy, the driver HTTP request will
>take a long time to be processed.

If that happens, there isn't really anything you can do about it, because
the delay will be disk-I/O which will also hit your MC/HTTP process.

Without knowing how big your object set/hot set size is, it is hard to
predict what the actual pattern will be.

What happens if a client asks for an object the varnish does not have ?