Preloading Cached Contents into Varnish?

Adrian Otto aotto at mosso.com
Fri Jun 11 21:23:07 CEST 2010

Joe,

On Jun 11, 2010, at 11:57 AM, Joe Chen wrote:

> Would someone kindly tell me how and where I should start in adding
> a cache-preloading functionality?
>
> I like Varnish's performance in caching and try to add a capability
> of preloading cached contents into Varnish server.
>
> My understanding is that I need to find a right spot for inserting
> hash index, and then right spot for inserting cached contents into
> cache storage.

Why not just implement a simple HTTP client script to walk the list of
URL's you want to load on some suitable interval? This way you don't
need any code modifications.

> I also intend to use memory as only cache storage, not hard disk.

Simply define the storage file/volume to be smaller than your main
memory minus some capacity for the server to run in. In my use case on
a server with 32 GB RAM, I use a 30GB storage volume, and I see
practically no disk access because the cached pages always fit in
memory.

Regards,

Adrian