varnishd -lssl

Peter Janovsky peterjanovsky at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 29 22:05:49 CEST 2010

great.  thnx for your help thus far.  i'm in the midst of tackling the compilation issue.  from your response and researching the web i've come across a few questions referring to the cc_command parameter and linking/compiling the shared library.  here is what i have done thus far

1.  created a shared library
2.  installed the shared library under /usr/lib (additionally i tried /usr/local/lib)
3.  ran /sbin/ldconfig

i found the following example on the web for the cc_command parameter

/usr/sbin/varnishd -C -f /etc/varnish/default.vcl -p cc_command="exec cc -fpic -shared -Wl,-x -o %o %s -lssl"

when running this command i receive an error indicating an undefined symbol which references a function within the openssl library.  i've changed the position of the -lssl option within the cc_command parameter to determine if it has any effect.  it doesn't.

i've also attempted using the -L and -l options to specify the shared library's location and soname, still no progress.

question is:

when you have a shared library which requires special gcc command line options to compile which syntax shall i use for the cc_command parameter, the syntax i am using or a variation of the syntax?

thnx for all your help. - peter