Looking to implement "If modified since" between browser and varnish cache

Indranil Chakravorty indranilc at rediff-inc.com
Fri Oct 1 05:06:39 CEST 2010

Hi,  I have been mulling over the feasibility of implementing conditional requests between the client browser and varnish cache. My plan is to add a "If modified since" header while fetching the object from the backend for the client's first request. Subsequently, if the client requests the same object, then at varnish cache, comparison would be made between the "If-modified-since" header and the date time of the object in the cache. Incase, the date time is not newer then a 304 response would be returned by the cache and the client's browser would pick up the request from its own cache.
My concerns:1. Do all the common browsers support reading from their own cache on receiving a 304 response?2. Is there a way to read the date time stamp of the object/ data in the cache using vcl?
Thanks in advance for any suggestion, pointers.

-Neel