r4480 - trunk/varnish-cache/bin/varnishncsa

Anders Nordby anders at fupp.net
Mon Sep 20 15:49:28 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 01:31:33PM +0100, Anders Nordby wrote:
>> Well, the code to implement it full was never there, and people were
>> reporting core dumps because of it, so we figured we would make the
>> non-support for -b explicit, until the code could be written.
>>
>> There are no objections to supporting it, it's just code to be
>> written by somebody... (nudge, nudge, wink, wink...)
> >From a developer point of view, I understand that this feature must be
> improved or removed. But from a user point of view, it has its use, and
> it IS in use. Will this patch be backed out or not? Do I have to use
> patches to see backend traffic in a simple Apache style log?

Never got a reply for this. So some people get a core dump, while others
do not. How about putting a warning in the man page instead of disabling
a desired option?

I still use varnishncsa -b, which is *very* useful for me, to study
backend traffic. Can we get this option back in please?

Bye,

--
Anders.