Digests and data encoding in Varnish

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Sep 27 13:00:22 CEST 2010

In message <4CA07796.9030101 at schokola.de>, Nils Goroll writes:

>While it would be easy to implement VCL functions (preferrably in a module) for
>such digests always returning a STRING representation with some encoding (base64
>or whatever), for the VSLP director (which I briefly introduced here some time
>ago and which we will publish when an important rewrite is done), it would be
>really handy to also get an INT (or, more specifically, UINT32) representation
>for digests.

Compared to the any sensible digest algorithm, the string encoding is
totally nonvisible in the cpu-usage, so I am not convinced that it is
worth the hazzle of adding new datatypes to VRT.

I would simply write a vmod with digest functions somewhat like:

	md5_hex(STRING_LIST input)
	sha25_base64(STRING_LIST input)

and be done with it.