Patch review for limiting backend retry on post

Martin Blix Grydeland martin at varnish-software.com
Wed Aug 3 14:07:50 CEST 2011

Thanks for the feedback Poul-Henning. I've implemented what you suggested in
the attached two patches.

First changes FetchReqBody to report what it's done, and then only allow a
retry if it reported no body.

Second sets the retry variable only if we are doing a GET or HEAD.

Another point for making Varnish buffer request bodies before doing any
backend work at all is dealing with resource hungry backends and slow
sending clients. We would then be able to buffer the data before tying up a
backend resource and send it all in one fast swoop.

-Martin

--
Martin Blix Grydeland
Varnish Software AS