default hit_for_pass usage

Andreas Plesner Jacobsen apj at mutt.dk
Tue Aug 23 09:14:05 CEST 2011

I was just going through the docs, updating examples to 3.0 syntax.

I fell over something that bothered me:

https://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/trunk/faq/general.html#troubleshooting

Has a section on increasing hit_for_pass ttl. I discussed rewriting this
section with DocWilco on irc, and we came to the conclusion that the current
default vcl may not be completely sane. For example, it looks like a 500 will
cause varnish to hit_for_pass for the next two minutes, even though the next
request could result in a nice cacheable 200.

Any ideas? Was this already considered when writing the default?

--
Andreas