Varnish 3.1 becoming 4.0 instead (?)

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Dec 9 17:12:43 CET 2011

In message <8762hpc1up.fsf at qurzaw.varnish-software.com>, Tollef Fog Heen writes
:

>> >As long as you can detect whether a 503 is internally generated or not,
>> >that's fine.
>>
>> That is an interesting idea, but why would that be important ?
>
>It's really part of a somewhat larger problem which currently is to
>figure out why you ended up in vcl_error.

Right, yes, that's an old wish too.

So far I have resisted inventing a bunch of internal numbers (7xx?)
because I fear they would leak into the internet, but suggestions
are welcome.  It is also not obvious to me how many different values
we would need to communicate.

Suggestions, as always, welcome.

>The distinction isn't particularly important to me, we are in no risk of
>running out of integers.

Tell that to the FreeBSD ports people who saw autocrap shit itself when
FreeBSD went to 10.0 :-)