FYI: HTTP timeout headers

Mark Nottingham mnot at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Mar 10 18:55:47 CET 2011

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thomson-hybi-http-timeout-00>

In a nutshell, this draft introduces two new headers: Request-Timeout, which is an end-to-end declaration of how quickly the client wants the response, and Connection-Timeout, which is a hop-by-hop declaration of how long an idle conn can stay open.

I'm going to give feedback to Martin about this (I can see a few places where there may be issues, e.g., it doesn't differentiate between a read timeout on an open request and an idle timeout), but I wanted to get a sense of what Varnish developers thought; in particular -

1) is this interesting enough that you'd implement if it came out?

2) if someone submitted a patch for this, would you include it?

3) do you see any critical issues, esp. regarding performance impact?

Thanks,

Mark Nottingham       mnot at yahoo-inc.com