Should manpages be mandatory for building varnish 3.0.0-beta1 ?

Lucas Brasilino lucas.brasilino at gmail.com
Thu May 26 22:47:38 CEST 2011

Hi,

As I tried to build varnish 3.0.0-beta1 in a Debian Lenny system without
'rst2man', which is not present in Lenny repo. Running 'configure' I've got:

[...]
checking for rst2man... no
checking for rst2man.py... no
configure: WARNING: rst2man not found – not building man pages
[...]

When I ran 'make', building fails with an error:

You need rst2man installed to make dist

I've made a patch that makes autotools to not generate manpage building
procedures when rst2man isn't present. So I managed to install varnish with
no problem.

If this patch interests you guys, I can issue a ticket and submit the patch. But
my doubt is if manpages are mandatory.

regards
Lucas Brasilino