Compression in Varnish

Stas Semeniuta stas.semeniuta at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 12:29:26 CET 2012

Hi, everyone

When looking through varnish code, I noticed, that Varnish uses it's own
libvgz to compress and uncompress data. As far as I understand, this libvgz
is actually a zlib. The question is, why zlib isn't used directly?
Also, I use zlib in a vmodule, and when this vmodule is loaded, functions,
which are really called, are ones from libvgz. After noticing this, I
switched zlib to libvgz, but inflate function reports Z_DATA_ERROR on
gzipped data. Other tools, which do gunzipping, successfully unzip this
data. Do I need to do something special to use libvgz functions, or it's
same, as zlib? I mean something like pass set up extra variables, or do
extra initialization. In case I do, what?

Thaks in advance, Stas