Request duration

Jos Boumans jos at dwim.org
Thu Mar 21 11:49:53 CET 2013

Hi Jon,

we tried to do exactly the same, and I ended up writing this vmod to
accomplish the task:

  https://www.varnish-cache.org/vmod/varnish-timers-get-timingduration-directly-varnish

This let's you capture the timers (and store them in a header if you
like for logging) without having to patch varnishncsa itself.

We use that together with another vmod I wrote to send stats directly
to statsd. Here's a blogpost that explains the process, together with
a VCL you can include to make it work for you:

  http://jiboumans.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/realtime-stats-from-varnish/

Cheers,

-Jos