Make reason-phrase optional?

Magnus Hagander magnus at hagander.net
Wed May 15 12:40:17 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Per Buer <perbu at varnish-software.com>wrote:

> In the web-forum I noticed someone ran into some trouble with the probes
> declaring the backend sick if the backend dropped the reason-phrase (The
> "OK" in "HTTP/1.1 200 OK").
>
> According to http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616#section-6.1.1 - the
> reason phrase is meant for human consumption and you're allowed to say
> whatever you'd like here. The reason phrase is required by the RFC and the
> question is whether Varnish should require it or not. After all, it isn't
> used for anything so I don't see a reason why we should require it. Then
> again, we cannot be faulted for declaring a backend sick when it is in
> violation of the protocol.

Postels law dictates it should be treated as optional, I guess :) And if
Varnish doesn't make use of it anywhere, there's no point in rejecting it
being missing.

But it looks really weird to me to first test for ==2 and then for ==1.
Just seems less natural than to first test for ==1 and then ==2 :)
</nitpick>

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/