Varnish as a redirector for a millions URLs

Aleem B aleemb at gmail.com
Thu May 23 13:57:22 CEST 2013

Hi,

I currently use nginx + redis + lua module to setup redirects for close to
a million old URLs that have been ported to a new platform.

Is it possible to achieve the same with varnish (maybe replay logs for all
redirects and set a max TTL. My cache size is more than enough to prevent
LRU from erasing these entries). However, I am not sure if that's a good
approach since Varnish would still require a backend through which it
populates the redirects.

Is this recommended through Varnish and is there any better approach?

Aleem