HSH_Private & expire superseded

Nils Goroll slink at schokola.de
Thu Sep 12 15:50:45 CEST 2013

> having a limited number of oh's for private
> objects is for debugging:  We can now find them.  Previously they
> had to be tracked down on some thread or other.

Yet, I agree on this point (also mentioned in my first email)

>> Regarding the actual patch I am working on: [...]
>
> First of all, we did agree that a successfull conditional fetch
> should nuke the "old" object from cache, (ie: ignore obj.keep)
> right ?

My understanding of what should be done for this feature was basically this:

- add storage steal feature

for conditional backend fetch 304 response:

- if stealing is ok (determined by stevedores involved)
   - the new obj from the 304 response steals from expired obj
   - expired obj gets a reference on the new obj
   - expired obj gets a "my storage has been ripped off" flag
- otherwise copy storage

BUT: I am not working on conditional fetches (IMS) in master, my understanding
was that this is something you still want to do yourself, right?

	-

Context on the "expire superseded" feature: Several patches following this idea
had been posted to this list before, here are the references I am aware of:

an initial "poc" patch which i had never taken into production, doing work in
Lookup:

https://www.varnish-cache.org/lists/pipermail/varnish-dev/2010-November/006600.html

Doc Wilco's implementation of the same idea, but working in Unbusy:

https://www.varnish-cache.org/lists/pipermail/varnish-dev/2012-January/007042.html

What I have at this point (and do successfully use in production for one month
now) is a variant of my initial patch for Varnish2 , but _much_ simpler.

> I expect that will solve most of the duplication problem ?

The duplication effect we would like to address is simply this: When using a
long beresp.grace time with a short ttl, many copies of the same object will
accumulate until they expire, so usually one will run out of cache and lru nuke
will kick in. But LRU might first expire objects we could still, so selectively
expiring old "grace" copies (I like to call them superseded objects) is a much
better idea.

>> HSH_Lookup when (oc->objhead == NULL) was still valid:
>>
>> - remove oc from oh while holding the oh->mtx anyway
>> - NULL oc->objhead
>> - EXP_Rearm outside oh->mtx
>> - deref oh
>>
>> With HSH_Private, IIUC avoiding a second lock of oh->mtx is not possible any
>> more, so I wonder if HSH_Lookup sill would be the right place.
>
> 1. How could de-dup'ing a oh's list ever be relevant to pass/private
>     objects ?  (ie: I don't understand what HSH_Private() changes for you.

I don't want to de-dupe the private_oh.

I was mainly asking about HSH_Private because of the performance implications
and because of the fact that this changes the implementation required for the
expire superseded feature to what I have now (or, put it this way: one
implementation which I thought was particularly efficient is not possible any more).

> In certain evironments this may still degenerate, so it has to be
> cheap.

That's what I am after.

For illustrative purposes _only_, you might want to have a look at the varnish2
patch I am using at the moment (attached)

Nils