varnishtest documentation

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at varnish-software.com
Thu Jan 30 08:53:19 CET 2014

]] varnish at syrota.com

> Quoting Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>:
>
> >I trust it you have spotted the 347 test-descriptions in the
> >source tree ?   They're probably the main documentation for it.
>
> Yeah, saw them, and that was one of the main sources on how to use
> the features. Although some of the arguments I could never find in
> those test cases
>
> >The main reason varnishtest has not been documented, is that it
> >we weren't sure if anybody would ever bother read the documentation
> >if we wrote it, and given that we have more ideas for things to
> >do than time to do them it ended up somewhat low in the pile.
>
> Yeah, judging by how hard it is to come by any discussion of it, it
> is quite rarely used feature, so the priority is understandable :)

It's used a bit by vmods, so I think we should aim to have some
documentation for it, if nothing else for the "standard" behaviour.
People using it are likely to be C developers, so saying "there are more
flags, see the source", while not terribly friendly, should not pose too
many problems in practice.

> >A quick top-level architectural overview:
>
> Thanks for the overview. That helps with a few things that I had not
> understood before. I'll probably put together a pull request for
> this architecture overview (I'll try to fit it into the existing
> varnishtest page) and vtc commands. And we can go from there, if
> anyone will be interested.

Did you get anywhere with this?

--
Tollef Fog Heen