querysort added to std

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi.boukelmoune at zenika.com
Tue Jun 24 11:45:20 CEST 2014

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> We talked a bit about what vmod_std should contain at the VDD in
> Stockholm and the consensus-ish-thingie was that generally useful
> facilities could go in there, as long as they don't drag in any
> 3rd party libraries.

The querystring module doesn't drag any dependency, so you could turn
this into a native module and replace its `sort` function by the
boltsort module's function.

You would need to remove the Varnish 3 stuff (using cpp to deal with
differences) and make it conform to your coding standards. Also this
function uses the request's workspace (which is fine to me) but it's
still not part of VRT despite ABI rules being relaxed with major/minor
compatibility.

I have plans for the querystring modules (new functions, and functions
replaced by objects) but if you were to include it in the main tree, I
would continue maintenance. I'd maintain the 3.0 vmod as I do today
and send you relevant patches.

> Functions for washing headers etc are certainly in that category.

In this case I'd rather not put "everything" in the std module, like
you did with the directors. The cookie module would be a good
candidate too for instance. But I agree, that you'd need a significant
amount of related functions to put them in their own module, and you
probably don't want to include too many of them.

Best Regards,
Dridi