Move obj.hits to the objcore?

Dag Haavi Finstad daghf at varnish-software.com
Wed Oct 22 18:28:15 CEST 2014

Hi

At the Varnish Summit in Paris last week, we got some feedback from a
few early adopters of Varnish 4.0, who were very surprised with the
new behavior of obj.hits.

To understand obj.hits in its current form, we need to understand the
concept of an objhead, which is fairly esoteric knowledge, and
something most users aren't familiar with. Also, I find that obj.hits
currently simply is not very useful.

I have attached a patch that moves the obj.hits counter to struct
objcore. This should give the old 3.0 functionality, where obj.hits is
separate for each object. The cost of this turns out to be (on my
computer) and extra 8 bytes per OC (and 8 less per OH), which IMO is
manageable.

Regards,
Dag

--