Workspace overflow handling

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi.boukelmoune at zenika.com
Mon Feb 9 15:56:26 CET 2015

Hi Martin,

I have been thinking about this for a while, but couldn't go past "it is
sometimes overkill to crash the whole child process".

Regarding your comment on state unwinding, my main concern is critical
sections and shared/global state. But I'm not familiar enough with the
code base to measure the implications.

On an unrelated note, I have been trying to code in Rust[1] lately, and it
provides a `panic!` macro[2]. It will kill the failing thread/task and somewhat
leave the rest of the program alone[3] which I thought could also apply to
worker threads.

I know this is half off-topic, but on top of not panicking on memory
exhaustion, I thought we could also "panic" a single thread when it's a
worker (regardless of the issue) when we can't serve a 5xx response.
The current assert system is a bit too unforgiving for many cases.

I hope I'm making some sense here.

Regards,
Dridi

[1] http://www.rust-lang.org/