suggesting to increase timeout_req default to 7 seconds

Geoff Simmons geoff at uplex.de
Wed Mar 25 11:22:54 CET 2015

On 03/25/2015 11:07 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Right now we have two timeouts:
>
> timeout_idle - close idle connections after this long. [5 sec]
>
> timeout_req - max time to collect req.hdrs (first->last byte) [2
> sec].
>

> Maybe we should instead have two different timeouts:
>
> timeout_first - Time to receive first complete req.hdrs after
> accept.
>
> timeout_idle - Time to receive subsequent complete req.hdrs after
> response.
>
> Or maybe even just one:
>
> timeout_idle - Time to receive complete req.hdrs

In my experience, the most common timeouts on the client side are the
idle timeout or timeout reading the request body (not the headers).
The latter shows up as a FetchError (at least in Varnish 3), since the
request body is read from the client and sent to a backend during fetch.

In other words, I don't see timeouts of the variety "time to first
req.hdr byte" or "time between req.hdr bytes" in real-world use. When
we're waiting, it's either to get a request at all, or to get the body.

Best,
Geoff
- --
** * * UPLEX - Nils Goroll Systemoptimierung

Scheffelstraße 32
22301 Hamburg

Tel +49 40 2880 5731
Mob +49 176 636 90917