[PATCH] add documentation about backend naming for VMOD authors
phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Nov 2 12:27:37 CET 2015
In message <CABoVN9CLPe=L2wHFDQEmz+vNJ+tJni5S=9nzBnrVZ=SCVCFM9Q at mail.gmail.com>, Dridi Bouke
Let me try to summarize at an even higher level:
* All "struct director" (= VCL_BACKEND) have a "vcl_name" which can
be queried from VCL. VMODs are responsible for doing something
* struct director without a struct backend do not appear in CLI/VSM
unless the VMOD implements all the stuff for this.
* struct director with a struct backend, defined in VCL is always
in CLI/VSM, and the vcl_name is the name from the VCL namespace.
* struct director with a struct backend, created by VMOD, may or
may not be in CLI/VSM, at the VMODs discretion.
* If it is in CLI/VSM, the VRT() used to register it there may
modify the vcl_name to make sure it is globally unique.
(In practice: vcl-unique, because the namespace is $VCL.$BACKEND)
* If the VMOD ensures there are no duplicate vcl_names in the
first place, the vcl_name will not be touched.
Poul-Henning Kamp | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.
More information about the varnish-dev